HISTORIAN’S CORNER: September 21
Taliesin Preservation’s historian Keiran Murphy’s weekly round-up of noteworthy FLLW resources.
The balcony which can be seen in the photo above is located on the third floor of Taliesin and was added in 1943 in preparation for—according to former apprentice Curtis Besinger—a visit from Wright’s new client Solomon Guggenheim. Curator Hilla Rebay, whom accompanied Guggenheim on the trip, was given the bedroom accessible from the balcony (Guggenheim was going to stay in Frank Lloyd Wright’s former bedroom, known as the “Guest Bedroom”). Thus this photograph shows several changes before 1959: the birch trees by the balcony eventually died; the French doors adjacent to the trees were removed; and a stone pier was constructed under the end of the balcony. (Photo credit: Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer.)
A piece about 20th Century Italian architect Carlo Scarpa (1906-1978). He never studied under Wright, but the elder architect found a lot to admire about him.
TALIESIN FELLOWSHIP/SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE AT TALIESIN
John Lautner was an apprentice at Taliesin 1933-39. The following article is about his compound in the desert and restoration work which was recently completed. Be sure to catch the well-crafted definition of organic architecture also included in the text. houzz.com/magazine/john-lautners-organic-architecture-in-the-desert-stsetivw-vs~119111279