HISTORIAN’S CORNER: November 17
Taliesin Preservation’s cultural historian Keiran Murphy’s round-up of historical resources.
This photo was taken by Charles Montooth—then a Wright apprentice—from one of the trees at the Taliesin tea circle (1948-52). Within a few years of the date of this photograph, Frank Lloyd Wright would add a clerestory at the living quarters, which can be seen today under the top of the roof, behind the birch trees. Early photographs of the clerestory do not seem to show it with any window glass, thus one is left to wonder if that space was just created for a photograph…?
Want to know “What Happens When You Give Thousands of Stickers to Thousands of Kids”? Click here.
TALIESIN FELLOWSHIP/SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE AT TALIESIN
In (part 1) of this interview with architectural historian Keith York, former Wright apprentice Bill Slratton (1956-59) discusses what it was like to work under the infamous architect: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzout1O9h2I
FINDS AT TALIESIN:
Visitors to Taliesin come in via the Entry Foyer (to the left of the birch trees in the photograph above). When one looks to the left, two things are visible: an interior glimpse of the kitchen—and fire damage. Most of that wall is limestone which survived the 1925 Taliesin fire. (*Fun fact: Limestone turns red when exposed to fire!)