When Taliesin Preservation opened its doors for public tours in 1994 it became the mecca for tourists and architectural buffs across the globe. In the last 25+ years, we’ve evolved our tours, programs, and worked on countless preservation projects across Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin estate. Over the past 25 years, we’ve grown our gross revenues from $305,000 in 1994 to $2.5 million in 2017. Today, we serve over 25,000 guests from around the world and engage over 2,000 adults and children annually in cultural programming.
Taliesin Preservation, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located near Spring Green, Wisconsin. Its dual mission is to preserve the cultural, built and natural environments that comprise the Taliesin property and to conduct public educational and cultural programming that provides a greater understanding of Frank Lloyd Wright’s architecture and ideas.
Taliesin Preservation was formed by a blue-ribbon commission established by Governor Tommy G. Thompson. This commission provided support for preservation work that was desperately needed at Taliesin. The first comprehensive projects Taliesin Preservation assisted with was the reconstruction of the Romeo and Juliet Windmill and the restoration of Wright’s Studio. From 1993- 2017 Taliesin Preservation has contributed over $10 million to preservation projects.
Taliesin is the home, studio, school, and 800-acre estate of Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959). Located in the Driftless Region of southwestern Wisconsin near Spring Green, Taliesin is the name of Wright’s home as well as the estate that includes buildings from nearly every decade of Wright’s career from the 1890s to the 1950s. Taliesin has a commanding presence in Jones Valley, the land along Wisconsin River where Wright’s Lloyd Jones ancestors settled in the 1860s after emigrating from Wales 20 years before. Taliesin was named in honor of his Welsh heritage: The name of a druid bard, Taliesin literally means “shining brow.” Its many wings and terraces reach out to frame the crown of the hill, embracing the site and standing as “brow.” Taliesin is designated as a National Historic Landmark (1974) and inscribed as part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site (2019).
Taliesin was the principal residence of Wright, and the valley was his inspiration and laboratory for architectural designs and innovation. Taliesin in its three iterations (1911, 1914, 1925) and its landscape are considered the most complete embodiment of Wright’s philosophy of organic architecture. The Taliesin residence is the heart of a series of buildings that Wright designed for himself and his family members across the estate: Romeo & Juliet Windmill (1896), Hillside Home School (1903), Tan-y-Deri (1907), Hillside Drafting Studio (1932), Midway Barn (1949), Hillside Theater (1952), and the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center (1967).