Highway 14 from Madison has been closed due to recent flooding. Please use the following alternate route:
Highway 18/151 (Verona Road) to Dodgeville and then Highway 23 to Spring Green.
Turn Right from Highway 23 to 5607 County Road C.
Highway 12 to Highway 78 to Highway 14 West to Spring Green.
Turn Left to 5607 County Road C.
The detours will add approximately 20 to 30 minutes to your travel time
Taliesin is the home, studio, school, and 800-acre estate of Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959). Located in the Driftless Region of southwestern Wisconsin near Spring Green, Taliesin is the name of Wright’s home as well as the estate that includes buildings from nearly every decade of Wright’s career from the 1890s to the 1950s. Taliesin has a commanding presence in Jones Valley, the land along Wisconsin River where Wright’s Lloyd Jones ancestors settled in the 1860s after emigrating from Wales 20 years before. Taliesin was named in honor of his Welsh heritage: The name of a druid bard, Taliesin literally means “shining brow.” Its many wings and terraces reach out to frame the crown of the hill, embracing the site and standing as “brow.”
Taliesin was the principal residence of Wright, and the valley was his inspiration and laboratory for architectural designs and innovation. Taliesin in its three iterations (1911, 1914, 1925) and its landscape are considered the most complete embodiment of Wright’s philosophy of organic architecture. The Taliesin residence is the heart of a series of buildings that Wright designed for himself and his family members across the estate: Romeo & Juliet Windmill (1896), Hillside Home School (1903), Tan-y-Deri (1907), Hillside Drafting Studio (1932), Midway Barn (1949), Hillside Theater (1952), and the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center (1967).
Taliesin Preservation is a Wisconsin 501(c)(3) founded in 1990. Its dual mission is to preserve Taliesin’s cultural, built, and natural environments, and to conduct public, educational, and cultural programming that provides a greater understanding of Frank Lloyd Wright’s architecture and ideas. Taliesin Preservation owns and operates the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright as the Riverview Terrace in the 1950s and built in 1967.
Ray Lipman, Chair
Executive Chairman of the Board, Westbury Bancorp. Inc.
West Bend, WI
Douglas Buck, Vice-Chair
Quarles & Brady, LLP
Howard Marklein, Treasurer
Wisconsin Senate, District 17
Spring Green, WI
Philip Prange, Secretary
Director of Corporate Relations, Digital Realty
Todd Asmuth, Director-at-Large
President, Shine Medical Technologies Inc.
Sarah Klavas, Governor Appointee
Deputy Secretary, Wisconsin Department of Tourism
Founding Partner, Clark & Gotzler, Attorneys at Law, LLC
Executive Director (retired), Discovery World
Diane Morgenthaler, CDME
Executive Vice President, Greater Madison Convention and Visitors Bureau
Gerard A. Randall
Executive Director, Milwaukee Education Partnership
Principal / Design Strategist
JanuaryFirst, a strategic design consultancy
Amy Loewenstein Scanlon
Preservation Planner, City of Madison
Principal Creative Director, ZEBRADOG Dynamic Environment Design
Val J. Schute, Jr., AIA
Principal, River Architects
Architect, Wisconsin Department of Administration, Division of State Facilities
Executive Director, Clean Lakes Alliance
Co-Founder, President and Chief Visionary Officer, Midwestern BioAg
Jaime Zimmerman, CFP CPWA
Vice President, Senior Investment Consultant, Baird
Effi M. Casey
Taliesin Legacy Fellowship Member
Spring Green, WI
Richard D. Pauls
Financial Consultant (retired)
Frederick P. Stratton, Jr.
CEO (retired), Briggs & Stratton Corporation
Sue Ann Thompson
President and Founder, Wisconsin Women’s Health Foundation
Wisconsin’s First Lady (1987-2001)
Tommy G. Thompson
Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2001-2005)
Wisconsin Governor (1987-2001)