Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center
Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center & Taliesin Bookstore
All tours of the Taliesin estate beautifully begin and end at the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center, which celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2017. This structurally novel bridge-like design spanning two hills beside the Wisconsin River was designed by Wright as the "Riverview Terrace" to serve as a modern fine dining restaurant for travelers and locals alike, and be a gateway to visiting Taliesin. It opened as a restaurant in 1967 called The Spring Green after construction was interrupted by Wright's death eight years earlier when it was already well underway, and is fondly remembered for its exquisite Wisconsin River views and elegant cocktails. The bar area was expanded by Taliesin Associated Architects in 1969. The uses of the structure were expanded after Taliesin Preservation was formed in 1990.
This gateway to the Taliesin estate is open every day from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. from May to October, and will be open weekends in November. Inside, guests can enjoy locally sourced cuisine at the Riverview Terrace Café and browse a thoughtfully composed collection of Wright-inspired fascinations at the Taliesin Bookstore.
For specific tour times, please visit our Tours & Tickets page. Many of our tours sell out, so booking in advance is strongly recommended.
Visit Our Tours for more information.
For hours click here.
Located within the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center, the Riverview Restaurant has a warm and friendly atmosphere with windows that span the entire length of the building, giving guests an unforgettable view overlooking the scenic Wisconsin River. For those traveling for business or pleasure, the restaurant also has free access to Wi-Fi. Sit, dine, relax and enjoy!
Friday-Sunday: 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
For private event inquiries contact: Aron Meudt-Thering at (608) 588-7900, Ext. 221
In 1953, Frank Lloyd Wright designed a building adjacent to the Taliesin Estate, which he called the “gateway” to Taliesin. Wright designed the building to overlook the Wisconsin River, and intended it to serve as a restaurant with a meeting room for his potential clients. While the architect began construction on the building in 1953, he was unable to complete it before his death in 1959. His former apprentices completed the building in 1967 and it operated as an independent restaurant, The Spring Green, for 25 years.
In 1993, Taliesin Preservation purchased The Spring Green in order to convert it into a visitor center, with a bookstore and tour program. The building was renovated in 1993 and the next year saw the first full season of tours from the building. Thus, the building finally became the gateway that Wright had envisioned.
The visitor center houses the Taliesin Bookstore, the Riverview Spring Green Restaurant, and is the departure point for all tours of the Taliesin Estate. It is free and open to the public from May 1 - October 31, and on weekends in November and April. It also houses offices for Taliesin Preservation tour administration, Taliesin Preservation planning and research, and landscape management.
There are no products matching the selection.